APPLICATION DEADLINE DECEMBER 1, 2022 AT 5PM. SEE BELOW FOR SUBMISSION DETAILS.
The Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership is excited to launch the Street Level Improvement Matching Grant program (“SLIM Grant”). This program is designed to assist property and business owners in rehabilitating the commercial facades of their buildings for the purpose of creating a positive visual impact, stimulating private investment, and complementing other community development efforts. *Please note that the source of the SLIM Grant are private and no public funds will be used.
The source for this round of funds is the Duke Energy Hometown Revitalization Grant. Click here to learn more information about this grant.
Our goal is simple. We want to provide you with the resources needed to improve the exterior appearance of your business. Research has shown that exterior building improvements result in an increase in sales in the year after the improvements are made (and this increase is often sustained for several years). Additionally, improvements will motivate owners/tenants of other properties in surrounding areas to make similar investments.
Public Information Session
Download the flyer here
We strongly encourage all interested applicants to attend one our Public Information Sessions on Tuesday, November 15, 2022 at 4:30 pm and 6:30pm at the DWSP Offices at 515 N. Cherry Street (Please note the new address).
In order to be eligible for the SLIM Grant, you must be located within the Downtown Winston-Salem Business Improvement District. Click here to see a map.
Eligible and Ineligible Grant Uses
Eligible Improvement Examples:
- Cleaning, preparation, and painting of exterior walls and trim
- Cleaning and/or re-pointing of brick, and other masonry
- Installation of siding materials
- Outdoor dining fencing
- Trash can fencing
- Replacement of deteriorated windows, doors and/or framing visible from the street
- Removal and/or installation of awnings, canopies or shutters
- Accent lighting
- Work on cornices, gutters and down spouts
- All improvements must be visible from street
Ineligible Improvement Examples:
- Improvements not visible from public streets and sidewalks
- Interior improvements and modifications not related to building facades
- Non-façade improvements such as roofs, structural foundations, billboards, security systems, non-permanent fixtures, parking lots, security bars, interior window coverings
- Items related to business operations (i.e. inventory, business equipment, etc.)
- New construction
- Property acquisition
- Expansion of building area
- Conversion of use
- Refinance of existing debt
- Payment of delinquent taxes
- Improvements to structures outside of the SLIM Grant boundary
SLIM Grant Process
- A total of $25,000 is available to be awarded in matching grant funding.
- Grants will be awarded up to $5,000 per business (the maximum a single business can receive)
- A business may apply for a grant from $500 to $5,000 but please note that the business must spend an equal amount or more on the project
- Owners/tenants can spend more than $10,000 on a project but the grant will only match up to $5,000
- Interested owners/tenants should fill out an application
- Application deadline December 1, 2022 by 5:00 PM and must be completed on-line at the bottom of this page.
- We strongly encourage all applicants to attend one our Public Information Drop In Session (download flyer here)
- Applications will be considered by a SLIM Grant Review Committee to determine grant recipients and to assure, through an equitable process, that the application meets all applicable design-guidelines.
- On-line applications will be submitted and will be conceptual. The committee will select projects based on the merit of the concepts presented and then will work with the selected applicants to develop a final design concept and hire a contractor.
- The completed work must adhere to the final design plans agreed to with the SLIM Grant Committee to ensure final payment.
- The funds will be paid directly to the contractor for approved work.
- The SLIM Grant Review Committee will have specific design modifications to each awarded grant application that must be met in order to be compliant for grant funding. The committee will work with each awarded applicant and provide limited assistance in meeting these design modifications.
- All improvements must meet local, state and federal codes.
- Once the Public Input Session is held, the grant process and application may be amended to answer questions that arise.
Examples of Eligible SLIM Grant Projects in other cities
Click here to download examples.
SLIM Grant Application SLIM Grant Application Form
SLIM Grant Application
SLIM Grant Application Form
Questions or more information, please contact the Downtown Winston-Salem Partnership staff at (336) 354-1500